About Our Parish
Our community dates back to 1951 when a group of greek immigrants, mainly from the island of Patmos and the mainland of Greece, formed two societies, known as the Patmian Society and the Athenian Society. These groups combined their efforts and raised funds from neighboring parishes in other states and the American community to purchase this piece of property on West Capitol Street, and to bring the reverend Basil Kleoudis from Patmos, Greece as the first priest. Services were held in the house located on the property until the beautiful church located here today was build in 1957. The name Holy Trinity-St. John the theologian was given the church, and it was consecrated on September 30, 1973 by His Grace Bishop John of Thurmon. In 1967 the Theo Costas Community Centre, which included a parish hall, classrooms, and offices, was constructed. As the neighborhood changed and the homes of parishioners moved to different parts of the city, it was decided in 1996 to purchase 10 acres of land on lakeland Drive in Rankin county for the future growth of the parish. Building plans are now being studied. In December or 2010 the Parish approved the purchase of the former Pear Orchard Baptist Church. The Parish moved to its new home in January 2011 and gradually transformed the church into an Orthodox Church using the Holy Altar table, and iconography from the "old" church. The membership of the parish consists of approximately 75 pledging families who strive to be witness of the Holy Orthodox Church in Jackson and in the state of Mississippi.
Archippus the Apostle, Philemon the Apostle & his wife, Apphia, Onesimos the Disciple of Paul; Holy Martyr Cecilia and those with her; Afterfeast of the Entry of the Theotokos into the Temple; Kallistos Xanthopoulos, Patriarch of Constantinople; Anthimos, President of Crete